Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi[_2_] Luigi Zanasi[_2_] is offline

Default Entry door

On May 29, 5:40*am, Sasha wrote:
I want to make myself custom wood entry door. What wood to use? The
house entrance is covered by the porch overhang 5' deep roof.

My house is very energy efficient, I put a lot of effort into E4
windows and multilayer insulation. So I want to make sure the door
will be well insulated too. What's the best way to insulate it? Make a
door core from closed cell foam insulation? If I put 1" foam between
two 3/4" of wood this would make door 2.5" thick.
Also how to make frame water and draft proof? Any references
preferable with pictures and drawings would be greatly appreciated.

I made my garage doors (including an entry door) Out of 1-1/2"
extruded polystyrene (styrofoam) covered with 1/8" lauan plywood door
skins. Then I applied 3/4" cedar to fake up rails, stiles and muntins
to make it look like a paneled door. The actual door frame was made
out of 1-1/2" cedar including a wood reinforcement where the handle
goes. So the whole assembly was 2-1/2" thick around the edges. Any
competent locksmith should be able to extend the shaft on your handle.

The frame was made of 2X10 cedar, rebated to accept the door. Two
kinds of weatherstripping, one that fits in a slot in the door rabbet
and the other that is screwed on the farame. Expanadng foam between
the jamb and the framing, covered with brickmold on the outside.

I live in the Yukon, so avoiding paying for heating the great outdoors
is important. Hope this helps.

Luigi