Frank Shute

Default New bandsaw saga Part III (long)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:42:42 -0700, Bruce wrote:

snip bandsaw review

Thanks for the interesting write-up. Nice to see you looking at the
machine from the perspective of somebody who has worked around machine
tools and it sounds like you've got yourself a pretty decent machine
that will last you years. I'm green with envy!

Not too sure why it's struggling with the 10" oak as it should be
within your machines capabilities & it should go a bit faster. Sounds
like you set up the drift & blade tension OK & you've got plenty of
grunt. What I'd try is a higher fence than the 4" if you haven't
already - an 8" fence would be a useful size I think.

When I resaw I usually use a fence that is greater than 3/4's the
height of the timber being resawn and aswell as pushing the board into
the blade, I keep the board pushed onto the fence just in front of the
blade. If it's a long board you might require the assistance of
somebody else .... that's where SWMBO earns her keep She also earns
her keep when I'm ripping boule oak into boards on the bandsaw.
Alternatively, a decent featherboard arrangement could help with the
resawing and/or cutting your boards to length before resawing.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll sort something out given time. I've always
found it takes me a bit of time to get comfortable with new tools & it
takes me a few months before I start to `enjoy' using them.

--

Frank

http://www.freebsd.org/