Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Roof timbers

On 30/05/10 16:24, John wrote:
wrote in message
In preparation for putting a boiler in my loft I am wondering if a
particular timber is just what the builders used temporarily to support
the roofing timbers whilst building the house. The house has what I
believe is called a double hipped roof.
The timber in question is about 3/4" x 3" - it runs at a shallow angle
from the bottom of a roof member - upward to tie in with 3 others.
Anyone able to advise? Do builders use temporary bits of wood to hold
things upright whilst assembling the roof?

Maybe this link will work and clarify what I am trying to explain:

http://tinyurl.com/2w5x8kl

I'll go out on a limb here - I can't see those 2 weedy nails holding
that diagonal in are capable of resisting major shearing forces. So I
*think* that you are right and it was a building aid rather than an
integral part of the structure.

Why is there such a large gap between those middle rafters? Without
seeing the rest of the roof, what is there about the construction that
would resist the roof folding flat, if that diagonal were important?

If you are concerned, you could screw that timber across the bottoms of
the rafters right next to the braces and put in several short diagonal
braces between the braces so they are not so obstructive which should
add general stiffness to the assembly.

Some more photos of the rest of the roof could be useful.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.