Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 440 volt three phase question

The OP question is if one leg to ground provides 120 volts to run a
device like a vacuum cleaner, or pressure washer.

Long as it runs a vacuum cleaner.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"harry" wrote in message

I did. You didn't describe that limitation but you could still be a
long
way from completely wrong with only a meter if you only had access
the phase legs. Since a "Y" connection neutral is always bonded to
ground I could still get the same readings I described by placing
one of
the meter probes on ground.- Hide quoted text -

But you still wouldn't know whether it was star or delta connected.