Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 440 volt three phase question

The OP question is if one leg to ground provides 120 volts to run a
device like a vacuum cleaner, or pressure washer.

Would that run a vacuum cleaner?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

*It's been a while since I have worked on three phase, but I seem to
recall on a three phase 240 volt delta system, the high (Orange) leg
is
around 180 volts to ground. I only remember one phase as being
center
tapped. Next time I meet with someone from the power company I will
ask
them to refresh my memory.

*I was just looking in my PSE&G handbook and found a drawing for three
phase
services. They supply 3 phase 4 wire 120/240 volt delta, 3 phase 4
wire
120/208 volt wye, 3 phase 4 wire 277/480 volt wye services and they
also
list 3 phase 4 wire 265/460 volt wye but in parentheses they have
"Obsolete". I guess the 460 is being or has been phased out (No pun
intended). For the delta service they want the orange leg on the
right
terminal in the meter and of course after that it must go on the
center
terminal as per the NEC. As I mentioned before PSE&G wants the
neutral in a
separate panel from the high leg, therefore two panels must be
installed;
one single phase with neutral and one three phase without neutral. I
think
JCP&L will accept the neutral and high leg together, but I would have
double check.