Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default 440 volt three phase question

In article , John Grabowski wrote:
*As I recall on a delta connection one of the phases will have a higher
reading to ground than the other two. On a Y connection the reading to
ground will be the same. In NJ, Public Service Electric and Gas will not
permit that high leg to be installed in the same panel as the neutral.
The NEC allows it though.

What you are describing sounds to me like a 240V "star" system with high
leg, a variant of Y. Two of the phases are 240V center tap with the
center
tap connected to neutral. That provides four 120V legs. The third is
240V
with one end rather than the center tap of that transformer's winding
connected to neutral to provide the "high leg". It is possible to use
the
center tap of that to provide a fifth 120V leg.

*It's been a while since I have worked on three phase, but I seem to
recall on a three phase 240 volt delta system, the high (Orange) leg is
around 180 volts to ground. I only remember one phase as being center
tapped. Next time I meet with someone from the power company I will ask
them to refresh my memory.

*I was just looking in my PSE&G handbook and found a drawing for three phase
services. They supply 3 phase 4 wire 120/240 volt delta,

Is that someting newer to me, as in 2 legs 120V from neutral and one leg
208V from neutral?

3 phase 4 wire 120/208 volt wye,

No 240V here. That one is good for loads 120V from any of the 3 phases
to ground, as well as 208V delta loads.

3 phase 4 wire 277/480 volt wye services

That one appears to me to be a little common. That one gets to power
460-480 volt industrial motor loads and loads downstream of of step-down
transformers downstream of the industrial customer's electic meter for
120V needs.

For one thing, I have noticed recent presence of fluorescent lamp
ballasts rated for 277V or 120-277 V as well as recent avilability of 277V
incandescent lamps from bulbs.com.

and they also
list 3 phase 4 wire 265/460 volt wye but in parentheses they have
"Obsolete".

My guess is that's 4x 115V while more-usual is 4x 120V, for
phase-to-phase.

I guess the 460 is being or has been phased out (No pun
intended). For the delta service they want the orange leg on the right
terminal in the meter and of course after that it must go on the center
terminal as per the NEC. As I mentioned before PSE&G wants the neutral in a
separate panel from the high leg, therefore two panels must be installed;
one single phase with neutral and one three phase without neutral. I think
JCP&L will accept the neutral and high leg together, but I would have to
double check.

--
- Don Klipstein (Jr) )