Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default Free Bandsaw !

On 05/29/2010 03:54 PM, Snag wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

He's either one lucky dude for surviving, or one unlucky dude for
having it happen. Were it me I'd be staying up late trying to decide
which!
I was trying to think if I wanted to trade one of my car projects for
a machine tool -- then I realized that the kids would kill me if I
gave up the Suburban, and no sane person would want a half-done Vega
engine swap project.

Besides, I want to keep both (which, in the case of the Vega, gives
you an idea about my sanity!).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

I think he just got "lucky" , as these things go . Had those trees dropped
about 10* counterclockwise , the whole place would have been a pancake . One
of those trees was an oak that was over 30" thru the trunk . The other two
were oaks 15-18" .
And from what I hear , those Vega's make a screamin' sleeper ... depending
on what motor you're shoehorning in there . I've seen underhood wheel wells
trimmed , firewalls moved , tubs in back , all kinds of insanity . Of course
thay weren't using the stock drivetrain either ...

My dad's opinion was that a stock Vega chassis could handle up to 200
horsepower with some tuning but without a rip out and replace.

My opinion was that a 3.4 liter 60 degree V-6 from GM Performance parts
with an Edlebrock manifold and headers would get about 200 horsepower,
which is about what you'd get from an un-modified 283 or 305 V-8, for
less weight and easier access to the spark plugs.

And it's an easy fit.

Except the project just keeps getting put on the back burner. I don't
even know if you can still get the engine -- I should check.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com