Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY solar panel install

Has anyone done DIY solar panel installation? Do federal and state
subsidies and credits still apply for DIY solar install? I live in
central NJ and researching possibility of solar panel. I am not driven
by green paranoia, only by economics. So if economics does not deliver
I will not do it.

From what I read and heard multiple times if solar panels are
installed by a pro even with all subsidies and credits it is still
very bad economic deal and it takes zillion years to recoup huge
investment. What I thought is good portion of this cost is
installation and if I can install them myself I could make numbers
align better. Any info on DIY solar install and personal experience
would be greatly appreciated.

*I am an electrical contractor in NJ. I am currently not promoting the
installation of photovoltaic panels through my business. I have taken
some classes and talked with several installers of solar panels and have
not become convinced it is something that everyone should have. With
rebates and tax credits it can almost make economic sense for an average
homeowner, but you need to look at the big picture. Where will you
install the panels? Not every roof can withstand the extra weight. What
will you do when the roof needs replacing? How will you keep the panels
clean? Will replacement parts be available as well as someone to repair
the system after a few years? Will you be living in your house long
enough to realize a payback? Is this something that will affect the value
of your house one way or another? Will the panels look attractive?
Since you plan to do the work yourself, do you have any experience
working with live electricity? The panels start putting out juice as
soon as they are exposed to daylight.

I have been hearing Trinity Solar in NJ advertise free installation.
Give them a call and see what that is about.

I personally believe that you will get a better and faster payback with
insulation which includes windows, doors, caulking and sealing and by
improving energy efficiency. I've noticed that a number of customers are
going for window replacement due to tax credits.

The solar fallacy sort of follows the same thinking as purchasing your
own home is a good investment. Of course your home will appreciate in
value over time. However when you add up the interest paid on the
mortgage, the taxes, insurance, maintenance and upkeep as well as the
purchasing and selling costs it can actually be a loss.

You've been warned before about speaking with common sense on here.....

*Sorry :-)