Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default 40Gb Western Digital hard drive

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:55:56 -0700, mike ǝʇoɹʍ:

ʍoןd ʇɐǝɯ wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2010 03:18:18 -0700, mike ǝʇoɹʍ:

D Yuniskis wrote:

eMachines are... well, we won't go there! :-/

I 'spose that may be why the E-machine 'puters at the scrapyard are
usually still intact.

I own a 2005 eMachine, 2.0 ghz AMD Athalon64. It's now a Windows 7
machine and does its job flawlessly. Just like any other brand you need
to know what you are buying within the brand name.

I've yet to buy new, so I'm always stuck with whatever is already there.
However, it always cheers me to find inside a MB made by Intel and a
PSU with a name like Astec or Antec, or even John Deere, I've had pretty
good
service out those.

I bought an LG dvd burner a couple years ago from a former IT guy and
it is really phenomenal at reading dvds even when they're covered with
finger prints and scratches (like a lot of the ones at the local library
have), whereas, none of my previous burners (grand total of 2) would be
able to read 'em, at least not error free.

Being semi-retired
from the IT world now since 2008 I've seen plenty of junk out there
with Compac, HP, Sony, Toshiba badges on them. One thing you need to
understand is not many if any make 100% of their own components. So you
should not make global statements condemning the badge name without
this knowledge.

I had pretty good service with a T1742 that a neighbor gave me, it had
an Intel MB, and didn't have a Bestec PSU. The 3 I found at the
scrapyard all had failed Bestec PSU's, which became notorious for not
having a crowbar circuit to shut down the outputs if they went
over-voltage. Maybe they started using a better PSU, the last blown up
one I found was a T2862 or something like that, I suspect a few years
older than your 2005 model.

The 6212 was the first and only eMachines so far I've owned. MSI mobo,
nVidia Nforce chipset. Came with XP. I replaced the 160 gig PATA drive
with a 320 gig SATA and was just going to reinstall and keep the original
but I'll be damned if i could locate the correct chipset drivers and I'm
no neub at searching for stuff like that. I ended up cloning the 160 to
the 320 with Acronis Easy Migrate or Migrate Easy or whatever they call it
cuz it had a 15 day fully functional trial. Worked like a charm. Set the
160 on the shelf in case of catastrophic failure. Then I wanted an
external so i bought a WD 500 gig USB. The case failed after a month so
out came the drive and into the 6212 case it went. Bought Win7 a while
back, nuked XP (well Win7 nuked it) and that's what I use for some
specialized stuff. Most of the internet is on this Toshiba 1905 laptop
with Mandriva 2010 linux installed.