Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why is it........?

Rusty wrote:

Experienced knowledgeable sales people cost money. You want cheap
stuff. In order to keep it cheap they shave a little of the thickness
of wood,make the nails a little softer and hire newbie's as employees
for low wages.You wanted cheep you got cheep ,quit bitching. They
stock the shelves and if asked point you to the right isle, you do
the rest yourself.

These types of threads generally get my attention, and I'm pretty well known
for speaking up when they hit. They're usually more about the arrogance of
the author than they are about the inadequacies of the BORGs. I spend
plenty of time in the BORGs and in smaller stores. I don't expect the
people in there to be the absolute expert on everything. In fact, I
consider it quite reasonable that I might know something more about some
aspect of their department than they do - especially if that is an area of
interest to me, in which I have dedicated a lot of time to master. I never
understand why it seems so important to people here to post some dribble
about encountering a person in a store that didn't know everything possible.
I've seen plenty of these "experts" make complete asses of themselves in
stores, arguing with associates who were correct in what they were saying,
but could not convince the know-it-all-read-it-on-the-internet fool.
Armchair experts in many cases.

So - who cares if the guy on the floor is not as knowledgable as the expert
who posts his "experiences" here? If the wreck poster is all that
knowledgable, why is he needing to ask all of these questions? Beyond
direction to the right aisle, he should be all set.

In my 57 years on this earth, I've never once found a store where the owner,
or the staff was so expert that they knew everything better than I. The
expectation that anyone on the floor will know everything is folly at best.

Finally - contrary to the OP, I have come across a good many store employees
that really know their stuff. Too bad for the OP that this has only ever
happened once in his life.

--

-Mike-