Posted to rec.woodworking
Bea Essor Bea Essor is offline

Default Sealing edge of particle board

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
This isn't really much in the way of a "fine woodworking" question, but I
hope it will be close enough to on topic.

I bought a metal shelving unit that uses particle board to put on top of
the structure. The particle board, of course, is unfinished.

As I will be at least putting a coat of primer on the particle board, I am
looking for a way to seal up the edges.

I have seen references to using a thin mixture of wood glue, and that
seems like a decent way to go. For anyone who has used that, how thin did
you make it? Maybe a 1:2 ratio of water to glue?

Any other methods?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Several years ago, I made closet shelves out of 3/4" particle board. To
smooth out the edges I used dry wall compound for a filler. Then I painted
them.
They are still as good as ever. Dry wall compound is cheap dries pretty fast
and is easy to sand.

Bea