Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw Revisited

On Sat, 29 May 2010 04:27:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 29, 4:24*am, Searcher7 wrote:

BTW. It is difficult finding single phase motors on eBay.

The only "cheap" (3/4hp) motors I've come across are called Leeson's.

Does anyone have thoughts on picking up one of these motors for a
bandsaw?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Industrial stuff on Ebay is usually a bargain. I think the reason is
that companies usually buy new equipment, so used industrial equipment
is not in demand.

And in Michigan and California..its because the companies that owned
it...died. Lots of CHEAP machinery around these days.

So my advice would be to start haunting Ebay for variable speed
devices and buy a three phase motor locally ( maybe off Ebay, but
close enough to you to be able to pick it up. ). I think you can get
a 3/4 hp three phase motor and a VFD big enough to run the motor for
about the same price as a 3/4 hp single phase motor.

Dan

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.