Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default 40Gb Western Digital hard drive

D Yuniskis wrote:

eMachines are... well, we won't go there! :-/

I 'spose that may be why the E-machine 'puters at the scrapyard are
usually still intact.

What machine did ou have this running in?

A Franken-machine, with an Asus MB that I recently replaced some bad
caps in; all the other components have been sitting around, salvaged
from other broken systems for long enough that I no longer know what
their origin is.

I think drive manufacturers cite something like 40% (? more?)
of drive returns have "No defect found". (something to keep in
mind).

The first thing I would do is move the drive to a known
*reliable* machine (perhaps on the secondary controller
or as a slave, etc.) and see how well it runs. You
may discover that the machine you were having problems
with was the problem! (bad caps, bad power supply, etc.)

Yeah, definitely a possibility...

Thanks,
Mike