Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pyriform Pyriform is offline

Default Whole House fans - where can I buy one?

"pete" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2010 17:38:12 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Pyriform wrote:
I've decided these are a good idea, and I'd like to fit one. The trouble
is
that the only suitable products I've found using google are from US
companies, designed for 110V. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for this
sort of thing?

[For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about, a whole house fan is a
fairly powerful fan that vents hot air from the house into the attic
space
(and thence outside), and draws cool air in through open windows etc.
The
idea is that you run it when the house is too hot, and the outside
temperature is significantly cooler - typically to cool things down at
night
after a very hot day.]

12" extractor or even a boxed in ceilng fan.

Loft condensation can be avoided by venting outdoors rather than to
loft.

Wouldn't you only get condensation if the loft (either air, contents or
fabric) was cooler than the incoming air? In my house in the summer the
loft is the warmest place as the sun heats the tiles, since the insulation
is between the loft floor and the first floor ceiling. So venting from the
house into the loft will introduce cooler air into the loftspace.

It could be an issue if the night is very cold (and the loft is insulated
only at floor level). For what I have in mind, I don't envisage there being
a problem.