Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pyriform Pyriform is offline

Default Whole House fans - where can I buy one?

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 28/05/10 16:42, Pyriform wrote:
I've decided these are a good idea, and I'd like to fit one. The trouble
is
that the only suitable products I've found using google are from US
companies, designed for 110V. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for this
sort of thing?

[For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about, a whole house fan is a
fairly powerful fan that vents hot air from the house into the attic
space
(and thence outside), and draws cool air in through open windows etc. The
idea is that you run it when the house is too hot, and the outside
temperature is significantly cooler - typically to cool things down at
night
after a very hot day.]

How about a number of parallel units: axial fan, 4" ducting (rigid where
possible, flexi[1] at the end for any fiddly bits?

[1] Can be got in round and rectangular form.

I'm using this method to vent an islanded bathroom to the soffit over the
front door (being a straight joist run). If you are only venting to the
loft (to exhaust via the eaves) then you'd only need short duct runs to
allow the fans to go somewhere sensible and perhaps away from being over
the bedroom to reduce noise.

You also have the option to vent via more ductwork directly outside.

I got my ductwork from BES. I'll look up the fan if you like, but they are
not uncommon. You can get fairly subtle vents in a number of finishes
(white, brown, chrome) for the bedroom ceiling end and soffit end (if
required).

It looks like I will have to bodge something (unless anyone manages to
answer my actual question!). The problem will be getting a fan (or fans)
that shift enough air - bathroom extractor type fans are orders-of-magnitude
inadequate - and yet aren't industrial ventilators!