Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sealing edge of particle board

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

This isn't really much in the way of a "fine woodworking" question,
but I hope it will be close enough to on topic.

I bought a metal shelving unit that uses particle board to put on top
of the structure. The particle board, of course, is unfinished.

As I will be at least putting a coat of primer on the particle board,
I am looking for a way to seal up the edges.

I have seen references to using a thin mixture of wood glue, and that
seems like a decent way to go. For anyone who has used that, how thin
did you make it? Maybe a 1:2 ratio of water to glue?

Any other methods?

Thanks,

Jon

FWIW, I bought a similar shelf several months ago. Upon attempting to
paint the "bare" wood, the paint didn't take like it would on bare wood.
There might be a finish of some sort on the shelves that take care of
your problem (or cause some later.)

Puckdropper