Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT Michael Moore.

aemeijers wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
aemeijers wrote in
news
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Our mistake was not annexing the island - as we did Puerto Rico and
Guam, after 1898. We just "administered" the island until about 1902
when we granted Cubans their independence.
Or as Sen SI Hyakawa stated so succinctly during the Panama Canal
Debate: "Of course its ours, we stole it fair and square."

ISTR a compatriot of TR's advised him to not try to dress up his
taking of the canal zone with any banal explantions, on the grounds
that such an audacious theft spoke for itself, and any window-dressing
would only diminish his legacy.

Or words to that effect- I don't care enough to look it up.

"took it"? (the Canal)
we BUILT IT (at our cost)and paid Panama for it.
The French started it,quit,and we completed it,with much loss of life.
It gave great benefit to Panama.
Then Carter gave it back to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...e_Panama_Canal

Pay attention, now. Canal ZONE. TR wouldn't try to build unless US had
control of the land, and therefore guaranteed access to the waterway
(and more importantly, it could be denied to the unfriendlies.)

Damn good thinking.
and it turned out very good for Panama,too.
We DID pay Panama for the Zone. got a good deal for it,too.
We did not just "take it".

Until Carter gave it back to a tinpot dictator, of course.

yes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik