Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
CalifBill CalifBill is offline

Default Steel bolt in aluminum: anti-seize or anti-ox?

On 5/28/2010 3:34 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I am repairing an aluminum brake (i.e., a brake for bending aluminum
house flashing/cladding). It is made of aluminum castings and
extrusions, held together with steel bolts and screws. Every single
bolt/screw is corroded in place! Not so much rusted as bound-up by
corrosion of the aluminum it's in. AND ... all the screw are Phillips

Anyhow, I WILL get the screws out and when I put it back together I will
not use Phillips heads and I will coat them. So, the question is: do I
coat them with anti-seize, or with anti-oxidant? If anti-seize, does it
matter which form?

Thanks,
Bob

To remove the screws, a hammer impact driver works best. Get an
antiseize with no copper. Look at the ones they use on outboard motors.
Am not at home, or would look on the tube at home.