Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default The Problem with Kitchen Islands

On May 28, 11:01*am, mike wrote:
On May 28, 10:47*am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,

*mike wrote:
On May 28, 9:48*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

Large kitchens are popular. *Once you reach a certain size they look
strange without an island. *Too much open floor.

That's beginning to sound like a design flaw, not an excuse to throw
in a island. *If your kitchen is too much like a gymnasium to be used
efficiently, maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that islands seem to always
have problems with finding even half-way good places to put electrical
outlets.

Sheesh. You only get so much wall space. Next you'll be saying that
putting a coffee table in the middle of the room, out in front of the
sofa is lame. Our island is *immediately* accessible from the fridge,
dishwasher, etc. It has its own electrical outlets and its own sink.
It's a perfect staging area for sandwich prep, salad making, etc.
without being in the way of others using the kitchen simultaneously.

Sorry, but this isn't a fad. It's just intelligent design. Maybe you've
seen poorly implemented islands, but that hardly qualifies as an
indictment of the concept.

So are your outlets under the counter so the cords get in the way? *If
your island is so close to sink and the dishwasher as to not require
any walking, it sounds like you have no room for people to walk by
anyone else. *I assume your fridge and dishwasher are not part of your
island like your sink is.- Hide quoted text -

edit: "...so close to FRIDGE and the dishwasher..."