Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default The Problem with Kitchen Islands

In article
,
mike wrote:

On May 28, 9:48*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

Large kitchens are popular. *Once you reach a certain size they look
strange without an island. *Too much open floor.

That's beginning to sound like a design flaw, not an excuse to throw
in a island. If your kitchen is too much like a gymnasium to be used
efficiently, maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that islands seem to always
have problems with finding even half-way good places to put electrical
outlets.

Sheesh. You only get so much wall space. Next you'll be saying that
putting a coffee table in the middle of the room, out in front of the
sofa is lame. Our island is *immediately* accessible from the fridge,
dishwasher, etc. It has its own electrical outlets and its own sink.
It's a perfect staging area for sandwich prep, salad making, etc.
without being in the way of others using the kitchen simultaneously.

Sorry, but this isn't a fad. It's just intelligent design. Maybe you've
seen poorly implemented islands, but that hardly qualifies as an
indictment of the concept.