Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT Michael Moore.

Mac Cool wrote:
HeyBub:

Ah, but here's where your logic fails: There is no enterprise, health
care, education, etc., that cannot be done cheaper and better by
private industry.

Give me some examples, education and health care for starters.

Consider the schools in Chicago. About one-sixth of the students in that
city attend parochial schools, mainly Catholic (~60,000). The private
schools spend about half the per-pupil amount as do the public ones yet turn
out comparable or better students. The Catholic schools have about one-tenth
the number of "administrators" as do the public schools.

Then, too, there is the Veteran's Administration hospitals. This is probably
the only completely-government run health care facility. A more despicable
collection of incompetence and villainy can not be found. (My plan is to
close all the VA hospitals and have the government pick up the tab for
veterans' treatment at a local, private, facility.)

"But, but, what about, say, police protection?" you might say. "Surely
that's a governmental function!"

The police don't protect anybody. In my town, that function is reserved for
private security guards, of which there are probably ten times as many as
police officers.

"Firefighters!" you insist. "They certainly protect the citizens!"

Yes they do. But that's not a governmental function, in the main, either.
Eighty-five percent of the firefighters in America are members of Volunteer
Fire Departments.

And so it goes...