Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default Soldering Flux Paste Solvent

On 05/28/2010 10:03 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On May 27, 10:17 pm, Tim wrote:

It's "Top Line Quality Soldering Paste Flux". Bought over thirty years
ago (I don't go through flux very fast). It looks like bearing grease,
& it sizzles when the iron touches it. Works great, but leaves a
residue

The paste flux used for plumbing is ZnCl2 in a vehicle of petroleum
jelly.
If that's what you have, any waterless hand cleaner will loosen it,
and you can flush with water. It's inconvenient to do this inside
a finished tank, so consider tinning the seam bits, cleaning the
flux off, then pressing together and heating without any extra flux.

Boiling water rinse is a good starting step. When most of the
petroleum jelly is dissolved, the ZnCl2 will dissolve in water.

That sounds exactly like what I have, except that it's brown instead of
the clear you'd expect from petroleum jelly.

I think I'll try hot, then boiling water with hand dishwashing
detergent, then hot and boiling water with Cascade if the hand stuff
doesn't do the job.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com