Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Soldering Flux Paste Solvent

On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:25:11 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:17:36 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Oops.

After finishing soldering my Very First model airplane fuel tank, I went
to do the last step of any soldering project -- cleaning off the flux.

Unfortunately, while I know that the flux I use yields to scrubbing with
hot soapy water, I don't know what -- if anything -- will just take it
off. I'm experimenting.

Jeweler's pickle?
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ling-notes.htm

--
Ned Simmons

Won't the acid be a problem? While not stated, I had assumed that the fuel
tank was made of copper or brass. If you look at the last part of the cited
article it indicated that the acid pickle eats copper.

That paragraph is talking about the pickle plus peroxide. I've never
used that mix so I don't know how agressive it is, but copper or brass
can stay in the regular mix for hours with no apparent damage. This is
effective on brazing flux and I assume would work on soft solder flux,
though I've never tried it myself.

--
Ned Simmons