Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 440 volt three phase question

" I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

Right; we should all tighten up our terminology, nominal voltage-wise.

It's 120, 240 and 480. *Not* 110, 220 and 440. (Not to mention all those
weird older numbers that were used, like 117 volts: WTF did that come
from???)

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One company
in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. It is quite
possible that Stormin is dealing with 440 volts.

When I worked for my father decades ago he did a lot of industrial work and
we quite often had to add buck and boost transformers to equipment because
the juice from the power company did not match the nameplate requirements
for a machine.