Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Pencil butane torch for Surface Mount desolder?

Winston wrote in message
On 5/27/2010 7:42 AM, N_Cook wrote:

(...)

I don't often meet ground planes but if I do ,
how do you gauge the rear heat ?

I have not been measuring the temperature at all.
I've been relying on experience to know that I've heated up the back
side of the board 'sufficiently' but not so much as to loosen
components.

I've been eyeing these Tempilstiks to get a better idea:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

One could mark the board with three crayons of increasing
melting temperature and get a better idea when to start
pulling on the BGA.

I like the solder paste indicator.

It works 'better than nothing'.
Of course the virgin solder melts at a much lower temperature
than does the used solder.

--Winston

Another reason to investigate these , but 1/2 deg C resolution fine for that
purpose. For general fault hotspot monitoring 0.1 deg C resolution ones
would be more useful but too expensive. Another gizmo I must get around to
trying. Using the pyrometer of a PIR unit , setting in an insulated tube
shroud for pointing and then analogue fashion monitor the output in a
relative way, absolute temp not required for that purpose.