Dave Mundt

Default Any tips for patching a knot hole in a fence?

Greetings and Salutations...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:48:09 GMT, Carmella CWP@... wrote:

Well, let's just say I'd rather not see them in one...

*smile*...inquiring minds want to know.... Feel
free to post to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I don't really have a "can I work on your side of the fence" type
relationship with the neighbors, so it looks like it'll have to be hanging
stuff over the holes for me.

-C

Well, there IS a way to do it that does not require going
on THEIR side of the fence (although if it is your fence, you
should be able to do so without pestering them).
1) Cut a square of cardboard slightly larger than the hole.
2) Punch a couple of holes in the center and put a loop
of twine through them.
3) roll the cardboard slightly so it will go through the
hole.
4) let it unroll, and use the string to pull the
concave side flat against the fence.
5) Tie the string around a small bar that will span
the hole on YOUR side and pull it tightly enough to lock
everything together, without pulling the cardboard down
into the hole.
6) Fill hole with appropriate spackling as mentioned
elsewhere.
7) when filler is dry, cut off the string flush with
the surface of the filler, sand, and move on. Let the neighbor
worry about THEIR side of the fence.
or...
Ignore THEIR side of the fence. Simply cut some
decorative patterns out that are slightly larger than the
knotholes. Nail them over the holes, and, scatter a few more
along the fence in random places, so it looks like a design
decision, rather than a repair.
Move on.
Regards
Dave Mundt