Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default MOAS - progress photos

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
. ..
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Don't forget the butyl sealant strip along the roof overlaps. The
simplest method I have found is to turn the sheet over on the ground,
apply the sealant strip to the lap, peel off the paper protection and
get help to lower the sheet vertically into position. You don't get
two goes so be exact!

I may have mentioned before.... be aware that these roof sheets are
noisy in variable sunshine. Thumps and bangs from expansion.

No butyl sealant strips involved - just an overlap of the profile.
I have remembered that I have to paint the woodwork with bitumastic
paint before putting down the roof sheets to avoid a reaction between
the metal sheets and the chemical preservatives in the wood.

er... Remind me what roofing sheets you are using.

Rolled steel box section are not rain proof along the lap due to rain
*bounce* particularly on low pitch.

Plastisol sheets which cover 1m width with an overlap.
I got quotes from two suppliers for all the bits and neither mentioned
sealing strips along the overlap.
IIRC I did ask about the overlap and was told that it would seal.
I think I would be more worried about capilliary action than 'bounce' -
but obviously this is my first time using such a sheet.

I struggled to buy butyl sealing strip locally and ordered from the
roofing supplier.

Just talked to my local supplier and they have two variants 'on the shelf'.

12mm wide by 3mm thick
50mm (2") wide by 2mm thick

Did you use either of these sizes?
These are the ones they stock - others can be ordered 'in box quantities'
which does not sound economical.