Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default "Ripping" baseboard on a router table?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I need to "rip" some 3" high baseboard down by about 1/4". This is
your basic home-center baseboard.

I don't have a portable table saw, but I do have a router table with 2
fences. I figure I can run the baseboard along a straight bit and
remove the ~1/4".

The questions:

Can I remove a 1/4" in one pass or should I plan on two?

What size bit should I use?

Any other tips? (I'll use feather boards, etc.)

Note: I don't believe that quarter-round will be installed, so I need
a good finished "cut". I'm traveling 300 miles to dad's house to do
some chores, so I want to be prepared to knock this one off fairly
quickly.

Thanks!

With the two piece fence and a large diameter bit you probably could do it
if the wood is pine and not more than the 5/8" or so thick stuff. Use
feather boards to hold it tight to the fence.

Another option, if you have a portable thickness planner you could make a
jig to stand the baseboard on edge upside down... angle it a bit to back
bevel the bottom so it's easier to scribe to the floor. I think this would
be easier if you have any volume of wood to do.

John