Posted to alt.home.repair
cubby cubby is offline

Default Cedar vs PT posts

The last times I have used PT 4x4 posts (fence posts, supports for an
overhang, and a deck) they have warped and twisted when drying to the
point where they look a mess and where structural integrity is
compromised. It normally takes 6-12 months to dry out and twist. My
question is, is cedar any better? I'm doing another deck and am
willing to pay the extra if it will stay straight.

I often wonder whether there is a case to go back to the lumber
retailer and seek compensation for the warpage. I'm sure the answer
is no (or at best they might give you a replacement piece, which is
nothing compared to the labor to fix it) but it isn't right.

Cub