Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Odd clamping jig/workholder

I want to put mine on my surface grinder.

A mill - the blade is to hard for milling.

Sure someone can do it with the right horse power and process.
Quarts rock/sand is what rounds them over. Quarts is harder than steel.

A mill should have sine bars and sine bar type wedges of all sorts of
degrees.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

I've got a tough-dog clamping job to do.

I want to mill my lawnmower blades, rather than grind them.

The blades must be mounted at an angle to the table (tilting the head
just wouldn't work well in this app, because my Y travel isn't enough),
and the jig/workholder must be "indexable" in the sense that I must flip
the blades end-for-end to grind both ends, yet get the same position from
center each time.

No problem on the indexing, but has anyone a good idea for a very simple
way to clamp the blades at a "tilt", yet still hold them well enough to
reduce the chatter? There is a requisite overhang of about 6" from the
jig to the end of the blade, because there's nothing on the ends you can
clamp to -- little "lift wings"& turbulence slots get in the way.

LLoyd