Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Bandsaw Revisited

On May 26, 5:49*pm, Califbill wrote:
I just bought a Shopsmith Banbsaw for $140. *Brand new. *Also bought the
Shopsmith for $295. *So look on craigslist. *I usewww.searchtempest.com
as it will search all CL within the amount of miles you specifiy.

I learned woodworking on one and really liked it. It's the older cast
iron model, a little less convenient but functionally very similar to
my grandfather's aluminum Mark 5. The only real weakness was side play
in the table when ripping, solved by a brace clamped to the extension
table.

I set the quill stop to allow a little sideways adjustment when
sawing, not enough to hit the table insert. It was a nice fine
adjustment to get a light press fit on tenons and finger joints for
cabinet doors.

The need to do all the sawing and then switch to drilling taught me to
plan work better. In drill press position the rip fence, miter guide
and table adjustment screw helped a lot to locate mortice and dowel
holes. It's horizontal drilling setup was great for the dowels in the
ends of door rails. If you drill clean through the practice stile you
can use it to position the table and miter gauge for the holes in the
rail.

jsw