Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Odd clamping jig/workholder

On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:38:24 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I've got a tough-dog clamping job to do.

I want to mill my lawnmower blades, rather than grind them.

The blades must be mounted at an angle to the table (tilting the head
just wouldn't work well in this app, because my Y travel isn't enough),
and the jig/workholder must be "indexable" in the sense that I must flip
the blades end-for-end to grind both ends, yet get the same position from
center each time.

No problem on the indexing, but has anyone a good idea for a very simple
way to clamp the blades at a "tilt", yet still hold them well enough to
reduce the chatter? There is a requisite overhang of about 6" from the
jig to the end of the blade, because there's nothing on the ends you can
clamp to -- little "lift wings" & turbulence slots get in the way.

LLoyd

How big an angle plate do you have?

Gunner

--