Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt Matt is offline

Default Why is it........?

My favorite HD tale is being told that for plumbing parts I need to go to a
plumbing store.
I was told this while standing in the "plumbing isle" and the person telling
me was wearing a HD orange smock/jacket/clownsuit
These days when I need service while in store, I call the store from their
phone, or use their PA system.
However, in my area we have 2 HDs, and they have mostly compentent staff, so
it really isn't that bad.

"allen476" wrote in message
On May 26, 11:34 am, "Rusty" wrote:
Experienced knowledgeable sales people cost money. You want cheap stuff.
In
order to keep it cheap they shave a little of the thickness of wood,make
the
nails a little softer and hire newbie's as employees for low wages.You
wanted cheep you got cheep ,quit bitching. They stock the shelves and if
asked point you to the right isle, you do the rest yourself.

I usually go to a lumber place here. But since I only needed a 1x6x4
piece of poplar to finish one of the pieces I was working on, a 40
minute drive wasn't looking too good just to get it. I use the Blue
dump (because that is what it looks like on the inside and outside
here), because it is only 10 minutes from me. But when I go there, the
maple, poplar and oak are usually mixed together. That tells me either
they don't care or they don't know. And also they don't point you to
the right aisle half of the time here as well. Padlocks are not with
the door locks, taping compound is not in the tape aisle (here it is
in the paint department unless you want 5 gallons of it then it is
next to the sheetrock), hydraulic cement is not in the plumbing
department, and the winner from when they did their big rearrangement
(so you could find stuff easier) sandpaper is not in the sand and
cement aisle.

I know that you get what you pay for. That is why when I am starting a
project, I go to someplace that has people that know what they are
talking about. To me at least if you are going to advertise "You can
do it, we can help" then have knowledgeable people that can help. Most
of them do a great impression of "deer in headlights" when you ask
them anything.

Allen