Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default is there such a thing?

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:33:24 -0600, Jim wrote:

Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my
charger to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one
day a month. I know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery
charger in I'll freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a
freaking week before I remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s
were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that
would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If
you run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

So leaving the batteries hooked up to the charger will harm them? Do you
have some documentation saying this? This isn't the case for my Hitachi
drill or my Black and decker Weed Hog trimmer. Most NiMH/NiCAD chargers
are somewhat more smart than just a wall wart. If you haven't read about
charging these I suggest you do so. I'm in my mid 50's and the 70's were
REAL good to me also but evidently I didn't fry enough brain cells to
affect my short term memory.

But a lot of cheap ones *are* just wall worts and it will ruin them to
leave them charging 24/7. I put the 2 cheapo's I have on a timer to
slow charge them for 15 minutes a day. It works very well.