Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Odd clamping jig/workholder

On May 26, 10:38*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I've got a tough-dog clamping job to do.

I want to mill my lawnmower blades, rather than grind them.

The blades must be mounted at an angle to the table (tilting the head
just wouldn't work well in this app, because my Y travel isn't enough),

way to clamp the blades at a "tilt", yet still hold them well enough

I've made aluminum blocks with vee slots, and tapped in wedges, to
clamp flat items in similar situations. If you can find a good
flat surface on a mower blade, that'll work.

Otherwise, bore a couple of holes in inconspicuous places, and
bolt the blade down to a block that's easy to clamp down (or hold
in a vise). You'll want to whittle the block to get the angles just
right. Don't use weak bolts.