Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default Best drill bits to buy?

Don sez,

some snip and,

"And in particular, I would go for split points instead of the
usual chisel points."

Don, as usual, I agree with your basic suggestions but I fail to see the facility of split points
for the basic home-shop craftsman. Most of us use drills in machine tools and thus the necessity
for easier penetration of a split point is not a big factor.

Bob Swinney

On 2010-05-24, Howard Eisenhauer wrote:
I'm in the market for a completes set of numbered bits to replace the
cheap Chinese set Ii bought a few years ago (a lot of the smaller ones
were actually the same size :/)

Who makes the best set? I don't mind spending the money for good
ones.

Given my choice -- Cleveland or Chicago-Latrobe.

If you don't need the extra length of the jobber style, I would
go for the screw machine length ones.

And I would go for high Cobalt steel instead of just plain HSS.

And usually bright finish.

Of course, all those selections lead me down to only one (in the
Chicago-Latrobe brand -- Cleveland does not even fit those selections)
-- MSC # 81109589 at $175.21 unless you catch them on a sale someday. :-)

The only other two which fit all of those selections are by
Hertel at $141.72 and "Precision Twist Drill" at $181.13. At those
prices, those other brands should be pretty much the same quality.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564