Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Finding the center of a disk

On May 25, 8:35*pm, Spehro Pefhany
I guess if I had a setup that would hold a dial indicator in the
spindle and would reach the outer rim, I could just rotate the spindle
and adjust X/Y. Might be easier since there is no spindle lock on my
X3.
Spehro Pefhany

The simple version of that setup is an L shaped piece of stiff wire.
Chuck the short end, cut the long one to just clear the column. A
Starrett Last Word will clamp directly on the wire, otherwise make a
little block to fit the test indicator's dovetail. I would size the
hole in the block for 1/4" rod. While you are set up to cut the
dovetail you could make a lathe holder too.

To roughly center something into the range of an indicator I center a
6" ruler on it and move a point in the chuck to the 3" line. Usually
this gets it within 0.010".

jsw