Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Worktops - which type...

Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

We approach the time when we will be ordering our kitchen units. Found a
good online site with a showroom and the carcasses seem very solid, so
that's settled.

Now, the ultimate question... What worktop material?

OK - there will be a million different answers, but here goes

Stone (slate, granite etc) - too expensive for us - ruled out.

Stone/resin engineered laminate over MDF - still fairly pricey but not
as bad as stone. Not sure how tough this is.

Regular formica/chip - always has problems with the formica (whatever)
never being very robust. Either water gets in and lifts it or it stains
(OK, I cook curries) or it doesn't like the odd bit of heat...

Wood. I like this, in that it *could* be long lasting and can be
repaired if it gets abuse. I fancy my chances of fitting it myself too.
But some woods seem to be a sod for blackening if any water gets left
(have kids, it is going to happen, often)...

I'm veering towards wood if I can find a type and/or surface treatment
that is reasonably forgiving - SMWBO will need convincing, she likes
stone, although showing here the budget spreadsheet recently may have
cured that!

I suppose there might also be the option of glass over wood - not sure
if this is a done thing or how difficult it is to do, and whether there
are cons...

Random opinions sought - especially if it's a product recommendation :_)

Tiled can be cheap, tough, durable. Grout gets dirty if not treated.

NT