Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker - terminal connected to the AC line?

On 5/25/2010 9:25 PM Franc Zabkar spake thus:

On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:03:29 -0500, "William R. Walsh"
m put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I have a Technics SA-929 stereo receiver that is in good working
order. However, when I was inside it replacing a burnt out light
bulb and repairing the protection relay, I noticed that there is a
wire coming from the printboard that holds both the AC power input
and accessory outlet connections going to the "speaker -" connector
for the "B" speaker terminals.

There is a resistor inline with the wire coming from the AC wiring
board.

That gives me an idea for testing subwoofers ...

Connect each speaker terminal to the active and neutral of a mains
supply. The frequency is not critical -- either 50Hz or 60Hz is fine.
A sinusoidal 240VAC source would be preferred, but 120VAC will do,
too.

If you damage your speaker, don't be discouraged. In fact you may need
to test quite a few units before you have weeded out all the inferior
ones, especially those used in car audio.

Thank you. I love that! Maybe I can convince my homies around here to
implement this new testing methodology. We could set up a free testing
station on the main drag around here.