Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default A round hole in a square peg

I needed to make some square brass nuts to go with the screws that I
made earlier.
Usually I would put some hex bar in the lathe to drill it accurately
and chop off as many nuts as I wanted.
I didn't have any hex bar and I wanted square nuts. I had some 5/8"
square bar but I wanted 1/2" wide nuts.
How was I to drill the hole accurately when I had only a three-jaw
chuck?
As it happened I was able to use the three jaw chuck like this:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2uhlu88.jpg DSC00133lathe.JPG

Then I milled the bar down to half an inch and the hole was in the
middle!
http://i46.tinypic.com/2f0bzfb.jpg DSC00134mill.JPG

I finished tapping the hole by hand as the tap kept slipping in the
lathe chuck:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zb70c5.jpg DSC00135tap.JPG

Here's a finished nut on the screw that I made earlier:
http://i50.tinypic.com/264rvap.jpg DSC00144nut.JPG

Here's the screw and nut in place on the bell unit:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2h4evxc.jpg DSC00137bell.JPG

Everything but the screw and nut was cast in a foundry from an
original sample.