Posted to uk.d-i-y
Woodworm Woodworm is offline

Default Cowboy Builders (TV - Channel 5)

John wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and
begs materials and services and get things free. If I was to try
it......!

Seriously have you tried it?

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV.

Why, the suppliers get some very good advertising from it - besides, you
only see the ones that agree, there may be many refusals before they get "a
bite".

I wish a retailer would
tell them that their prices are as low as possible

Now the suppliers would be telling porkies if they did that - as on most of
their stuff the 'mark-up' is around 30-40% of the wholesale price (and
that's without what they can charge for delivery) - and if they're in the
restaurant business, then that mark-up is more like 60% plus.

and if they were
to give anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it
or they would go out of business.

Now you are showing your naivety, the only thing that customers are
subsiding is the owners, holidays and pension funds - and that's what he's
in the business and taking the risks for anyway.

I would suggest that the 'little green man' inside you is showing a little.

Now if you were running a business of your own, and using these suppliers
yourself, I would lay odds that if you gave them enough custom over a period
of time, then they WOULD give you the odd freebie or six, particularly
around Xmas time. LOL

Woodworm