Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Speaker - terminal connected to the AC line?

In article , Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2010 02:30:29 +0000, Paul G. wrote:

Probably a guess, but I suspect the mystery part is a high value
resistor as Phil stated. Its purpose is for "leaking" any DC static

And Paul G wins the contest!

Go claim your prize, a date with Phil Allison.

The resistor is there to protect the amplifier from static discharge.
Said static could build up while wiring up the speakers or even after
they are wired scooting them around on the carpet.

I think I have added resistors like that to my circuits. It can help but is not
foolproof. A static charge to the amplifier metal will occur
regardless of resistance to AC ground. It can help prevent transformer
arcover.

greg