Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Speaker - terminal connected to the AC line?

Hi!

*Probably a guess

It's as good as anything to me. It certainly does not show up in the
schematic, nor the parts list.

Its purpose is for "leaking" any DC static voltage that could
build up in the circuit. That would probably happen
if you were connecting a speaker up, and you were charged up
(could be anywhere from a few volts to tens of thousands of
volts).

So that's got me thinking...

Perhaps this serves to protect the hybrid module from such things?
It's my belief that the hybrid power amplifier is already something of
a delicate part.

I've noticed already that this receiver also contains additional relay/
outboard circuit protection against failure of the hybrid possibly
putting a power supply rail on a speaker. Earlier and other models did
not do that, instead relying on ineffective protection measures built
into the hybrid module.

Maybe the Technics/Panasonic engineers were trying to improve the
reliability of their design? I've seen a lot of these receivers that
were dead, usually as a result of hybrid module failure.

Touching the case or metal knobs of your amp when you
are charged, may also stress components in your amp, especially
if the case isn't grounded (has a 2-wire cord).

It's not...there is only a two wire, non-polarized cord set.

Be very careful replacing these components.... should that
capacitor or resistor fail, you could die. You should be very
concerned about the reliability of these parts.

I don't have any reason to believe the resistor itself is bad. The
front of the receiver and all of its controls are plastic.

That current depends on your electrical code.... values are
from a few microamps to a few hundred microamps.

The service manual for the set explains tests that can be run to
determine if the leakage is within specification. It would definitely
appear to be well within specifications.

As with you, I can usually feel a tingle from even very low current
leakage sources. I much prefer using test equipment to resolve any
uncertainty, anything else could result in a nasty surprise at the
least. I have not noticed anything from this set, and have no reason
to believe there is any problem.

Any current greater than a few hundred microamps, and I'd
retire your amp.

Fortunately, I do not think that this will be a problem. The unit
seems to operate safely in every regard. If anything, I will probably
be replacing the main filter capacitors as a precautionary measure.
The power supply section of this receiver runs hot and the original
filters are ~23 years old. They work fine now, but I do not want a
problem.

William