Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Fridge-freezer problem.

Toby wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
"NT" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and the over
temperature
alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't maintain -18C when
using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with the leaving the
door
open, or could that have broken something?

If its a frost free, a defrost cycle should sort it. Give it 24hrs to
hopefully fix itself, if not defrost manually.

It is. We've never done a manual defrost, just left it alone.
So the defrost cycle is automatic? What does it do? Am I being stupid?

The auto defrost either has a heater wrapped around the cooling part inside
the unit, so when the defrost is activated, it stops cooling and the heaters
melt the ice quickly - or the freezer has a valve in the refrigeration
plumbing that will reverse the process, so the inside is heated and the
outside is cooled for a short time, melting the ice.

They don't always melt it all though, and you can get a build up gradually,
that turning it off and letting it all melt is the only real solution.

I had to the this exact thing with my 5 year old frost free freezer a couple
of days ago (first time I have had to do it) - luckily we have a spare chest
freezer we just moved everything to and then turned the main one off
overnight with the door open, stuffed with a few towels to absorb the water
(which wasn't actually that much to my surprise)

Toby...

Ffffs do a defrost cycle every 8-24 hrs. If its timed it probably wont
clear it, if defrost end is determined by a thermostat it will.

NT