Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worktops - which type...

stuart noble wrote:
Leo wrote:
I recently visited a laboratory in Canada where I worked in the
1980s.
The lab benches were made on site: plywood worktop coated
with black car body filler and sanded smooth. The result looked quite
good
and was completely seamless, and now after nearly 20 years of abuse
(hot glassware, spills of alcohol, phenol, acids, occasional heavy
scrubbing
to shift radioactive contamination...) they still look fine. Has
anybody done this
at home? It's a lot of filler and a lot of sanding, but it has to be
cheaper than
corian and there are no fancy joining techniques required.

Leo
On May 25, 11:17 am, Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:23:14 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/05/10 21:22, Arthur51 wrote:
A few days ago I came across a Concrete method.
Its also diyable with some books available on the subject.
Google 'concrete countertops'

That's a good advert for car body filler, but I would think the same
thing could be achieved more easily with lay-up resin.

Most CBF is layup resin with a mica filler.

Not sure its any cheaper in bulk mixed or not.