Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default 5 Ghz Routers Cause Nausea & Dizziness - To You Too?

In article ,
Paul G. wrote:

On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:24:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 23 May 2010 18:55:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

5 Ghz Routers Cause Nausea & Dizziness - To You Too?

(...)
http://www.progneer.com/wp/informati...arch_fd0=72216

I have a WRT600N at home which I used for testing. Nice router. I
only have one laptop that uses 802.11a so I can't claim much exposure.
To the best of my knowledge, I haven't become ill when using it.

It was written on the box to keep it 1 meter away from the body.

That's not going to work because the extra dim LED's are impossible to
see unless you shove your face into the front panel.

If you are having 5 Ghz band ON
for video streaming and even if you are sitting 1 meter away from the
device, after 4 hours I think you will feel dizziness and after 8
hours nausea.

If I wasted 8 hours in one sitting watching TV, I'm sure I would
experience adverse physical effects. Have you considered climbing out
of your overstuffed sofa, and getting some casual exercise, such as
crushing the beer cans? I solved two problems simultaneously by
installing my bicycle on an exercise stand, and pedaling furiously
while watching TV. I had some initial problems with hyperventilation,
which did cause some dizziness, but that went away as I adapted to the
effort. The only change from standard was to place the TV on the
floor, where it was easier to see from the bicycle.

There are also physiological causes of nausea and dizziness.
http://www.dizzinessandnausea.com

If you stay within the 1 meter range, and assuming the transmitter
output several hundred milliwatts, and you do this for extended
periods of time, you are probably going to have similiar issues to
those people who use cell phones with badly designed antennae. There
are known side effects.... but they are down in the statistical noise.
Although the power levels are similiar, you don't have your head right
up against the antenna as in a cell phone. Given the fairly weak
correlation between side effects of cell phones (and they are long
term effects), and your much greater distance from the antenna, I'd
say your risk is very small.
The cell phone issue relates to brain cancer and leukemia for very
heavy cell phone users, and for specific (older) models. There are a
number of peer reviewed papers on this subject.

I think you forgot to mention that not a single one of those papers
showed a significant connection.

Isaac