Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Graco 2900,3900 HVLP(Pat raises his hand with a question)

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On May 24, 3:16 pm, cavelamb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On May 24, 10:10 am, Pat Barber wrote:
I assume Robert(NailShooter) will see this.

As a normal Sunday visit to Lowes for all my stand misc.
crap,
I got to see a cute little turbine HVLP sprayer made by
Graco
being shown doing all the normal magic a HVLP can do.

The guy said he was shooting latex(thinned) and I have to
say,
it looked pretty slick for the money.

This is very low end machine with most major parts plastic,
but
does show some promise.

I'm curious if any of the crowd has jumped on this:

http://www.spray-station.com/

I know, I know, wrong Robert...BUT!

It is another typical piece of badge engineering. (Swingman
knows what
it I of which I speaketh...Morris/MG/Austin etc. Same ****,
different
tag.) Graco is a very credible company, (Like Ridgid used to
be) but
this is NOT a Graco piece of gear. More like Wagner or
somesuch.
Airless is the way to fly, no doubt, but do it right and do
not be
lured by a brand name which has obviously been whored at some
corporate level.
A decent 3000psig pump, like Titan, will cost you 500 (or
thereabouts). Anything less than that, is a bad toy.
MY opinion. Others may disagree.

I'll disagree.

I have a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP - no name - but I've used it
for
over 10 years now. I've painted three airplanes (Stits vinyl
process and
lacquer), a bunch of furniture, etc, and am now using it to
varnish the
interior wood parts of my sailboat.

It cost me $89 then, and is at HF today - for $89.

You can spend a lot more if you want, of course.
But will it make any difference in the quality of your work?

Richard

Interesting point, Richard. If you maintain the equipment with a
proper cleaning schedule a low cost device will last a long
time.
At some point you may not be able to find parts for the
cheapies. I
had a Campbell Hausfeld 3/4 HP airless. Great machine till it
**** the
bed. No parts at reasonable prices. A complete turn off.
I then bought a Titan and there are all kinds of part at
reasonable
cost. It is a piston device as opposed to a reed style wobbler.
The PSI is much more stable, less pulsing, and easy to clean.
You get something for the extra investment.

When I did tile in my home, long, long ago, I just scored, broke
and nibbled. My first diamond tub saw was from HF, and was a
small overhead saw with a diamond blade, cheap pump and what
seemed to be a foot tub for the reservoir. With that $70 saw, I
did ten times more tile with ten times more accuracy and with 1/10
the waste. I'm sure that if I'd spent $700 for a better saw, I
could have done even better.

When the little saw finally broke, I salvaged a few parts and put
the rest into the trash. HF no longer sold the identical saw, so
I went to Home Depot and got a table saw-type diamond saw for the
replacement. It also did just fine for anything reasonable I
could ask of it.

My point is that was sprayers, saws or other tools, 10% of the
price will get you 80% or more of what you'd hope the tool to do.
If I did tile, painting, refinishing etc. for a living, I assure
you that I'd have excellent tools for the jobs I did. However, as
a homeowner and hobbyist, I'd rather have more tools to do more
jobs satisfactorily than the more costly professional models.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth