Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jesse[_5_] Jesse[_5_] is offline

Default Brake question

On May 24, 6:07*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
As the pads wear, the calipers close. Which moves fluid down the line,
to the calipers. So, you see the fluid is low, and pour more in. When
you compress the caliper, you push fluid back towards the master
cylinder. And of course some leaks otu the main seal. This is normal.

The rest of it, I'm less sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a brake question. I have a 1996 chevy Silverado. I have had it
for about 4-5 years. I bought it from my dad. It has 315,000 miles on
it. It has always had a soft spongy pedal. Brakes seem to work, but
like I said the pedal sinks when holding it.

This weekend was a nightmare. I replaced one side of my back drum
brakes. I will have to finish the other side this weekend as I ran out
of time. I noticed when I was trying to force on the pads in the back,
I developed some liquid at the master cylinder boot.

This weekend is a long one so I plan on doing this right. Replacing
the other set of rear pads. I guess I need to replace that wheel
cylinder now too. (Will I hurt anything by driving the truck this week
with one set of new pads on one set of old pads?) For the record, the
pads had a lot of life left on them but there were some superficial
cracks so I attempted to replace them.

Also, for the last year my antilock brake light has been on.

Anyway, Part of me is afraid to replace the master cylinder and re
bleed everything. I have heard of people doing this and somehow
getting air on the anti lock module? Have you heard of this?

I appreciate any help and advice! I just want to get this done and be
finished with it. This summer by the way I had to replace my vacuum
booster. It went out. I have no fluid leakage that I can see by the
way.

I appreciate any help!

If you do not know the BASICS then don't mess with it! Drums have
SHOES! Disc brakes have PADS! DRUMS DO NOT HAVE PADS!