Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Drill bit temperature?

If these are decent bits, I wouldn't worry about the temperature at all
when drilling the holes you are talking about. If you are drilling at
600 to 700 rpms or less, and if the bit is cutting (not just turning in
the hole), you should be able to keep drilling until you get through the
hole. The only thing that would make me stop drilling those holes would
be if the shavings started to clog the bit and drag the drill motor
down. But that's not likely in that size of hole. One shot of your oil
or whatever should be enough.

Pete Stanaitis

Jon Danniken wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:

More than a little bit.

So you thinking like 200F or 300F would be fine? Higher?

Just kind of making sure I don't bork my spendy bits.

Jon