Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Worktops - which type...

On 24/05/10 20:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/05/2010 17:31, Tim Watts wrote:

Stone/resin engineered laminate over MDF - still fairly pricey but not
as bad as stone. Not sure how tough this is.

Would this include the Corian type of materials?

Yes indeed.

Regular formica/chip - always has problems with the formica (whatever)
never being very robust. Either water gets in and lifts it or it stains
(OK, I cook curries) or it doesn't like the odd bit of heat...

Must admit to never having had a problem with this - pick a decent one
and it seems robust enough. Not had any problem with stains either -
although I would probably go for a speckle patterned one that would not
show them anyway.

To be fair, the first was one my father did in the 70's when a) the
products really were crap, and it really was formica; b) 1 newbuild
house (Crest) and 1 newbuild flat (Ideal) so lets guess which end of the
catalogue they bought their materials from (hint, it wasn't the
expensive end!).

I might consider it - I just don;t want to be refitting then in 10
years... In the worst case, wood at least responds to a good sanding and
refinishing.

Wood. I like this, in that it *could* be long lasting and can be
repaired if it gets abuse. I fancy my chances of fitting it myself too.
But some woods seem to be a sod for blackening if any water gets left
(have kids, it is going to happen, often)...

The quality of the fitting counts in both cases - if the joints match
well and are well sealed before assembly it is difficult for water to
get in.

That's a good tip - what do you glue an edge joint with? EVA or epoxy or
silicone?

I'm veering towards wood if I can find a type and/or surface treatment
that is reasonably forgiving - SMWBO will need convincing, she likes
stone, although showing here the budget spreadsheet recently may have
cured that!

Could go for stone insets in strategic places...

That's a nice idea and a good one for mr router. Get a tile, set in.

I suppose there might also be the option of glass over wood - not sure
if this is a done thing or how difficult it is to do, and whether there
are cons...

Probably easier to chip.

True. And would have to be templated, so probably as expensive as corian
overlay.

Random opinions sought - especially if it's a product recommendation :_)

Considered stainless?

Ah yes. And no ;-
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.